Thursday 10 July 2008

Movie Day!!

I've watched two movies today and I guess I shall review them. The first movie I watched in the afternoon is entitled Ah Long Pte. Ltd. My brother has been wanting me to watch the movie.

Yes, brother of mine, I watched the movie. Are you happy?


Ah Long Pte. Ltd. is not a new movie. In fact, it came out months ago. Naturally, you can deduct that I am quite outdated in terms of the entertainment world. This movie is Singaporean-made, though bits of pieces of it seem to include Malaysia (and by this, I mean scenes and lines by the characters).

I'm not going to give you a summary of the story. Wiki it. Just going to comment on it. ALPL takes on a different point of view about loan sharks: samsengs who lend people money with insane high interest rates and most likely the borrowers end up in miserable state. In this movie, it actually talks about Ah Longs being the misunderstood group of people in the society. A scene actually portrays with great mockery and humour that Ah Longs help people out of their difficult financial state but the people repay them by reporting to the police. I love the opera song part... haha actually, quite touching! XD

Anyway, the male lead is the one that amused me the most. He is an... what Malaysians and Singaporeans (dunno if any other countries understand this term) ah gua/pondan. Basically, he moves very Daniel-ish-ly gay-ish-ly but he ALWAYS claim that he is a MAN. As in MANLY MAN. And I quote him (translated into English from Mandarin):

"How dare you call me an ah gua! If you don't believe me, just get your mother to lie down and who knows you'll be calling me 'dad' next!"

Mr. Fang, the gay-like male lead character played by Mark Lee, is practically the life of the movie. He moves like a gay, talks like a gay, dresses like a gay. He is hilarious!!! He complements the female lead character, Li Hua (Fann Wong) very well. In this movie, she is like the man of the marriage.

Of all the parts of the movie, I love the climax of the story best, which is when Li Hua and a few other Ah Longs were kidnapped by their former victims' sons and daughters. The 'spokeman' of the teen group said they wanted revenge against the Ah Longs. The teens threatened them that they will kill their family members as well so that they will have a taste of how it feels to lose family.

But in the end, at the very last moment, they spared the lives of the Ah Longs' family members because:

"We don't hurt innocent people. Unlike you."

I think it was a good lesson for the Ah Longs though the teens looked and acted a wee bit too psychotic.

I rate this movie 3.6/5




The next movie I watched at night with cousin Nick and new friend Han Khee is Hancock. No, Larry, you did not influence me. I chose to watch it BEFORE you recommended it in your blog. XD

So anyway, I think this is quite a different superhero tale from your average Marvel Heroes stories. I found it intriguing to discuss about superhuman beings made in pairs and all but I didn't really enjoy the theory that when the pair comes together, they will gradually become mortals. It's kinda like Romeo and Juliet tragedy, just that the pair of super beings never age or die (IF they are separated from each other). Because apparently, every time the male lead, John Hancock (Will Smith) and the female lead, Mary Embrey (Charlize Theron) comes together and becoming mortals, their enemies will hunt for them and threaten their lives. Quite... redundant. The theory also did not explain why those super beings were made or who made them (I'm guessing God).

But the plot overall were okay, though the pace of the movie was a tad bit too slow. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the humour side of the movie. Laughed countless times. XD I rate it 3.7/5

Next up, I will be waiting to watch The Mummy: The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I also want to watch Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army and Batman: The Dark Knight. If I do get to watch them, I will review them. ^^

2 comments:

SoRCièRe dE TeMPs said...

Oh gosh, Ivor watched Hancock last night too! And that reminds me of teaching my students about movie today again...

Yamashita Reina said...

Teach about movie..? Ooo... XD Be a movie director??? Hehe