Sunday 17 August 2008

Still loving Chong Wei <3 - Saranghaeyo!

To people who have always been skeptical about Chong Wei, his match against Lin Dan would be a reinforcement to their statement, "I told you so. Malaysia tidak boleh harap."

No, I will not say Lin Dan is not a good player though he is still in my opinion, an arrogant bast**d. Lin Dan, in many ways, plain to the eye surpassed Chong Wei in terms of speed and strength.

But Chong Wei has always been in my eye a true sportsman. Though he lost, he lost in a gentleman's way. He shook hands with Lin Dan, congratulated him, embraced him. do not make me recall what Lin Dan did during the last Malaysian Open

When I saw Lin Dan from the live telecast, sitting out at a mamak stall near college, the first thing I noticed was the size of his arm muscles. They. Were. Huge. They were twice, if not triple, the size of Chong Wei's. Chong Wei looked overshadows by Lin Dan in terms of physical size already.

And is it me, or is Lin Dan playing at super speed today? He was everywhere on the court. Despite Chong Wei's countless trademark's cross-courts, he picked them up quick and accurate. It was scary. His body shots and mid-court takings were... VICIOUS! Even in slow-mo, his arm was still moving at high speed. I'm not kidding. I gaped when I watched a couple of his slow-mos.

It was obvious our dearest Chong Wei was in the mercy of the 'ready-to-kill' Lin Dan. It was amusing that one of my friend commented that he was playing as though he was told that he would be sentenced to death if he lost the match.

I'd say Chong Wei lost on the psychological ground. He didn't manage to keep his cool and with the whole stadium booming with cheers for Lin Dan, it was easy to judge that it unnerved him. It's not easy to be in his shoes. The pressure must have been unbearable for a normal person.

Before you start criticising Chong Wei, please ask yourselves, "Could I have done better if I were in his spot, in his shoes, holding the racket against the world's best?" If you can logically tell me 'yes' in that circumstances, you can speak all you want.

For what Chong Wei has done, earning Malaysia our first and currently only silver, I still am proud of him. He finished the game without giving up, though the situation was hopeless.

I hope you have a good rest, Chong Wei. Tomorrow will be another day.

No comments: