Friday 1 August 2008

City Survival Workshop

Just today, I was one of the many girls who attended the City Survival Workshop which was organised by the College.

Let me tell you this. I did not one bit regret stepping into that workshop. When they call it a City Survival Workshop, they really mean it. The workshop was hosted by Captain Bala. He is one of those Malaysians I would take my hat off too. He was the one who saved the Indonesian maid who tried to escape her boss from the 17th floor of a condominium and was stuck clinging onto a rope made out of clothes, dangling from the 12th floor. He also led a rescue teams to acheh during the tsunami event to help victims. He did many things.

And this afternoon, he taught us how to protect ourselves. No. No martial arts involved. Just streetsmart. He taught us how to take care of ourselves and prevent from being victims of crime like rape and snatch. He told us how rapists attack, how they think and stuff. Really COOL!

By the end of the workshop, I am aware of the different dangers I am constantly exposed to. Captain Bala said anything could happen to you; Don't trust anyone. He also mentioned that no one else is closer to you than your family.

If you girls out there come across a chance to listen to Captain Bala's talk, please, take the time to attend it. It's worth your life. I really mean it. What you learn then might even save your life one day.

I can't post any photos of the workshop since we weren't allowed to take photos.

No comments: